- You will need to apply some pressure to put the Provox Plug in place, which might make you cough. Make sure to have tissues ready just in case.
- Tape the plug strap to your neck with skin friendly tape.
- Once you are done eating and drinking, you can carefully remove the plug so that you can speak again.
- If you have difficulty inserting the plug, ask someone to help you, and leave the plug in place until you can see your clinician.
- To keep using your HME while the plug is in place, you can pull the plug strap through the center of the adhesive. Then insert and remove the HME carefully without moving the plug.
- You can also place the adhesive on top of the plug strap. Make sure to be cautious when removing the HME and adhesive to avoid pulling on the plug strap which could cause it to come out.
- You can place the plug strap to the right or left to make it easier to clean your stoma with the plug in place.
- When you have a plug in place you will not be able to speak with your voice prosthesis. Consider using an electrolarynx like Provox TruTone Emote or Provox SolaTone Plus during those times. Your clinician can advise you about this.
- Store and keep the Provox Plug in a clean container.
Clean the Provox Plug every time before you insert it and after you have removed it. Clean in warm soapy water (min. 50°C and 2 drops of dish soap to 250ml). Disinfect the plug at least once per day. Use one of the following methods:
- Ethanol 70% for 10 minutes
- Isopropylalcohol 70% for 10 minutes
- Hydrogenperoxide 3% for 60 minutes