Freevent® XtraCare™ Good humidification and effective filtration. For extra protection
Combining an HME (Heat and Moisture Exchanger) with an extra filter, provides you more than humidification. It also provides highly effective filtration, for extra protection.
Filtration of bacteria > 99 %*1
Filtration of viruses > 99 %*2
Heat and Moisture Exchange Filter
Freevent XtraCare is a Heat and Moisture Exchange Filter (HMEF). In addition to the HME, it also includes an electrostatic filter that effectively reduces the inhalation of airborne particles (such as viruses, bacteria, dust, and pollen) via the tracheostoma and protects others around you during exhalation*.
Freevent XtraCare HME is versatile in its use. You can use it daily, especially during the flu season or in situations where you are in crowded places such as supermarkets and public transport. It can be beneficial if you enjoy gardening, particularly during the high pollen season.
A tracheostomy bypasses the upper airways, and when breathing through a tracheostomy tube the important, natural humidification and filtration functions of the nose and remaining parts of the upper airways are lost.
The use of an HME provides heat and moisture of the inspired air and gives positive pulmonary effects, such as decreased thickness of mucus secretions, less coughing and improvements in respiratory functions3-6, a.
- Warms and humidifies the air you breathe in to help reduce coughing and mucus production.
- Protects you from airborne particles (such as viruses, bacteria, dust and pollen) by effectively filtering the air you breathe in through the tracheostoma*.
- Protects those around you from airborne particles (such as viruses and bacteria) by effectively filtering the air you breath out through the tracheostoma*.
- Can be combined with Freevent O2 Adaptor if supplemental oxygen is needed.
*Since pathogens can enter and leave the human body in other ways (such as the mouth, nose, and eyes), Freevent XtraCare can never guarantee complete protection.
aPost-market clinical study, sponsored by Atos Medical (2010). Data on file.
- Nelson Laboratories, Bacterial Filtration Efficiency (BFE) GLP Report, Salt Lake City, USA. Available on request from Atos Medical. www.atosmedical.com. 2014.
- Nelson Laboratories, Viral Filtration Efficiency (VFE) GLP Report, Salt Lake City, USA. Available on request from Atos Medical. www.atosmedical.com. 2014.
- Rozsasi A, Leiacker R, Fischer Y, Keck T. Influence of passive humidification on respiratory heat loss in tracheotomized patients. Head Neck. 2006;28(7):609-13.
- van den Boer C, Lansaat L, Muller SH, van den Brekel MW, Hilgers FJ. Comparative ex vivo study on humidifying function of three speaking valves with integrated heat and moisture exchanger for tracheotomised patients. Clin Otolaryngol. 2015;40(6):616-21.
- de Kleijn BJ, van As-Brooks CJ, Wedman J, van der Laan BFAM. Clinical feasibility study of protrach dualcare a new speaking valve with heat and moisture exchanger for tracheotomized patients. Laryngoscope Investigative Otolaryngology. 2017;2(6):n/a-n/a.
- Vitacca M, Clini E, Foglio K, Scalvini S, Marangoni S, Quadri A, et al. Hygroscopic condenser humidifiers in chronically tracheostomized patients who breathe spontaneously. Eur Respir J. 1994;7(11):2026-32.